COVID-19: April 2021 Update
11 Apr 2021
As lockdown restrictions are gradually reduced in England we are working towards bringing our staff back into the office on a more regular basis. We are preparing to welcome clients back into the office for normal appointments as soon as we can.
In the meantime current arrangements will continue and we look forward to hearing from you.
Please keep checking our website and Facebook page for further updates.
Alison Fielden & Co. - Legal Aid
Alison Fielden & Co is a long standing legal aid practice with a commitment to access to justice for all. Sadly, the Government has now introduced new legislation which means legal aid is no longer available in most family cases.
Legal aid is no longer available in most family cases.
There are some exceptions. Legal aid is still available in the following circumstances:
- If you are in dispute with social services about your children, for example if social services are trying to remove your children from your home and you wish to contest this.
- For victims of domestic violence
- In cases of international child abduction, where your partner is trying to take your child out of the UK, or has already done so
- If your child is being taken into care by social services.
However, there is no legal aid available for divorce, children or finance cases unless you are going through mediation or you can prove that you are a victim of domestic violence. You may also be eligible for legal aid in divorces where your child is at risk of abuse by another person.
To get legal aid in these circumstances, you MUST produce evidence. We cannot get this evidence for you.
For a list of evidence required to claim legal aid, see this document.
At your first interview, you MUST also bring photo ID and up-to-date evidence of ALL your income. This includes EVERY bank or other account in which you have an interest.
IMPORTANT - What you MUST bring:
- Photo ID
- Up-to-date evidence of ALL your income and capital (please refer to the checklist here)
- Evidence of eligibility (see above)
You can check if you are financially eligible for Legal Aid with the GOV.UK Legal Aid Checker.
We are very sorry but if you come for your first interview without your photo ID, full and up-to-date financial details and the required evidence of domestic violence or child abuse, we cannot see you. You may then have to wait up to two months for another appointment. So please read the requirements carefully - and call or email us if you are unsure what is required - so you don't miss out.